Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Prelude: Mission to Mexico 2007

The words of Moses and David, “Who am I?” echo in my head. To even think that God should desire to use me and to allow me to pour out anything for Him is amazing and very hard to grasp. He gives all things! I am reminded of my own children who receive money from me to buy something for “Mom” to give back as a gift for some occasion. I am the same with my Father. He gives to me so I can give it back to Him. He loves me so much! Now that I am sufficiently reminded of who I am , I can focus on what He allowed me to experience on our trip to Idaho and Mexico.

The adventure began long before leaving Chicago for Spokane with much prayer and petition. God already knows my heart but I know He desires me to come to Him and share it with Him.

Most who read this blog of ours already know that we ‘go’ quite a bit and that packing is a cross between a game and a work of art. Needless to say this trip was not much different. Kids and I packed in record time finalizing things the night before we left for the airport. (Note to self: Go with your gut next time even if it is Dad whose advice you are relying on ) I had some moments when I was regretting not bringing some particular thing that I was told I would not need. We had a great flight and it was like coming home instead of leaving home as we approached the green of the beautiful Northwest. Papa, Grandma Jo, Andy and Emily met us at the airport and I know God was smiling. To think of how far He has brought us from that day at an airport 29 years ago! God, I praise You for You are a Father of reconciliation and healing!

From the airport we headed to Dan and Jen’s house to take Andy and Emily home and then we had to get ready for the last meeting for the Hayden Friends group going to Mexico. We set up the gym for the last fundraiser, which was a pancake breakfast the next morning, and then we had a potluck dinner and our meeting. It was great to meet those in the group before we loaded into the vans. Church on Sunday was a treat as we got to receive blessings from the congregation as well as Pastor Bob’s message. The kids and I were thankful to be able to spend some great quality time with Grandma Jo and Papa before we had to leave on Thursday. One thing for certain, I was eating quality food before we left and am sure I gained 5 pounds just getting ready to leave. : ) Jo walked for an hour every day and that was motivation for me to get out and run since the weather was nicer in Idaho than Chicago had been. I love watching the deer (no moose this trip) and seeing the sunrise over the treetops in the morning it is a special way to start the day after meeting with Jesus in my quiet time.

Highlights of our prelude include Dad's surprise 66th birthday celebration which Ronna was able to be there for from Silverton, OR. Thursday morning bright and early we pulled out in two vans and Dad's truck headed to Springfield, OR and I started feeling my heart rebel. Oh, I probably shouldn't admit that you might be thinking.. Truth is always better than not. I didn't stay rebellious though as I prayed that God would speak clearly, not allow my "self" to get in His way, and for His perfect will to be done. We had a wonderful drive Thursday to Oregon and it was good to spend time in worship and the Word with Dad and the kids. I read aloud C.S. Lewis' book The Magician's Nephew and numerous Psalms while we drove. My throat would get sore and I would have to take a break but before long either Dad (YES! Dad!) or one of the kids would push my "Play" button for me to resume my reading. Dad designated a "Pause" and "Play" button on my shoulders so that he could make radio or phone contact when necessary. I love reading aloud and apparently they enjoyed listening so it was a good thing.

What was I expecting?
• God to speak to me regarding His will for my life.
• Meeting Sister Austin, Miguel & Josefina and all the children.
• To see if Jennifer and Jordan could deal with life outside their comfort zone.

What did I receive?
• God spoke to me! John 13:1-17, Children healthy, Provision and Protection
• I met Sister Austin, Miguel, Josefina, Nachita (Iglesia), Joshua and all the beautiful children.
• Jennifer and Jordan both adjusted well and did not whine, complain, fight or fuss the entire time. Neither did they have any health issues in spite of poor hygiene and missed medications. God answered my direct prayer to show me if they could deal with the conditions.

I met so many wonderful people who love the Lord and are willing to put their hands to the plow. A big part of the diversity of the body of Christ is our personalities. : ) I am definitely a Type A person and that didn’t always go over real well with everyone. But God also needed to teach me some subtle and not so subtle lessons.
I really enjoyed working with Beth M. and saw God working directly with my heart while we roofed the house we worked on. I saw the heart of God in Michelle B. and a spiritual strength beyond her years. Nathan E. just amazed me with his quick mind and analytical skills, I learned so much. Needless to say, my father was a joy for me to be with and my brother, Dan, was a riot as usual.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus and want my life to be a reflection of His life in me!

A Good Read...

  • Rooms by James L. Rubart
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Any book written by Terri Blackstock
  • O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson
  • Black, White, Red (trilogy) by Ted Dekker
  • Driven by Eternity & Rescued by John Bevere
  • Under Cover by John Bevere