Friday, May 16, 2008

I realize that it has been more than a few days so here is a brief update.

Garden is going slower than I had anticipated. My 18V cordless drill is definitely not the best choice for drilling the 1/2" holes in all these timbers. I am averaging about 8 holes before it needs to recharge. Yes, I already plan on buying a backup battery but between my other tasks haven't made it to the store yet.

Good news!! The kids mowed the lawn for the first time this year and for the first time all by themselves! Yipee! I intended to let them start much younger until Jennifer took out a chunk of flesh off the back of my leg a couple of years ago. I decided on the spot that I would err on the side of caution before handing over any power tools, or motorized equipment. She still feels horrible about whacking my leg off with the electric edge trimmer!
Good news is that despite my setbacks, the garden should be ready by early next week depending on the garden soil delivery.

The not-so-good news is that my rain barrel project is not working out as smoothly as I had planned and the best solution I have come up with will require at least one more trip to Home Depot for yet another 5 adapters. Here is my problem: (I should have posted this to Do-It-Yourself.com or something) I drilled the holes with a 1" hole saw and yet my 3/4" fittings don't fit through unless I screw them through which means that my faucet fixture isn't getting onto the adapter fitting like it should. Solution: Grind the hole a little bigger. This means buying another drill bit or a sander/grinder that I can use with my drill. I originally tried to adapt the set up to accomodate the existing holes by changing from a female faucet with male adapter on the inside to a female adapter on the inside which I could screw a male faucet into from the outside. In theory it should work but in actuality it leaks and unless I want to cut a big enough hole in the top to stick my hand and arm through I will not be able to keep the adapter in place to screw it in. More information than anyone else cares to have I am sure! So, I will get over to my favorite Home Depot and get something to widen the holes a 'tad bit' so that I have clearance on my fixtures. Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting my downspouts? I almost hate to do it after all the expense of having them installed last year.

Oh, another new addition to our gang! We have been given a gorgeous new African Fat Tailed gecko. (That is what I was told it is but I don't think the coloring fits...) No pictures yet as we are letting him adjust to his new home but he is handsome and quite friendly. He was never given a name so we are still working on that as well.

Next weekend is a big one for us and if you want to see the craziness I will be up to you can check it out at this link: Breakout 24 Adventure Race

Kids will be staying at Reneker Family Camp at the Owasippe Boy Scout Camp in a nice 2bdrm cabin with some of the support crew. Fishing, swimming, paddling, roasting marshmallows, and having so much fun!

Why haven't I made it to the store to get the much needed tools, etc for my projects??? Well, I have committed to make a few cakes. Actually, four half-sheet cakes and 120 cupcakes. So the first of the cakes are to be delivered tonight and the rest on the 21st. (Wednesday) I wish I had a commercial kitchen!! I love my life and am so blessed by the way God has given me a passion for so many things. I wouldn't trade a thing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I love that...a passion for so many things. That sounds just like me, and I love it. I couldn't live any other way!
Sounds like life is good. I want to do an adventure race with you!!!
Plan that, okay? :-)

glitzen said...

Its good to see what you are up to! Visit us at our blog saddlepotatoes.blogspot.com
Life is good but busy! off to two different horse camps with two different horses and two different girlies! Woo hoo!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus and want my life to be a reflection of His life in me!

A Good Read...

  • Rooms by James L. Rubart
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Any book written by Terri Blackstock
  • O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson
  • Black, White, Red (trilogy) by Ted Dekker
  • Driven by Eternity & Rescued by John Bevere
  • Under Cover by John Bevere