Monday, February 13, 2006

Ministering In Kampala

Saturday- The drive down to Kampala was not as harried as the drive up to Hoima was. Praise God! We made a quick stop in Kiboga where Pastor Fred is staying and then back on the road again. Once we reached the house in Kampala it was a day of rest and preparations for the services on Sunday. I was allowed to go out with Pastor Dan and some of the men to pick up some supplies and I got my first real glimpse of the life of villagers in the suburbs of the city. It really reminded me of Alaska in so many ways. Chickens in the yards, goats, cattle roaming among small housing with children running or sitting here and there and people handling their business from kiosks or office spaces. Many children had little or no clothes on. We purchased some material to put on the roof of the church building and some flip-flops for two of the team and then headed back to the house. The most interesting highlight of Saturday was when I realized that there are NO traffic signals, signs, or any other visible means of saying who has the right of way. I had been in country 5 days and it dawned on me that I had yet to see a stop sign or any other sign for that matter. Scary is an understatement. Of course, Life is an Adventure.

Sunday- The plan was to go to Church for a 10:00 am service but I think it was noonish when we finally arrived. It is a good thing the Americans were the only ones who really seem bothered by lack of punctuality. I have been wondering for a while now why we don’t just use terms such as, “around 10 or 11” or “somewhere in the vicinity of late afternoon,” or perhaps “sometime tomorrow”. If I were to do it over I would have left my watch in Illinois and just started taking in some deep breaths of contentment. Really, what is the big hurry for? Well, except for the number of daylight hours, what is our big rush?

The people at the Sign of the Dove Uganda are beautiful with hearts that are ready to worship in Spirit and in Truth and minds that hunger to be filled with the Word. There is joy and gladness in the midst of struggle and survival. God is just so awesome!! The ground and building were dedicated and the preaching was what our ears needed to hear. (as usual) I don’t think I could ever get tired of hearing the pastors on our team preach or teach and that includes those from Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania. They are all so anointed.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus and want my life to be a reflection of His life in me!

A Good Read...

  • Rooms by James L. Rubart
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Any book written by Terri Blackstock
  • O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson
  • Black, White, Red (trilogy) by Ted Dekker
  • Driven by Eternity & Rescued by John Bevere
  • Under Cover by John Bevere